Nelnet - Borderline Criminal Organization

28 of 141 Nelnet reviews

I'll be the first to admit I messed up paying my student loans back right away and ended up defaulting.Those loans, which were through Nelnet, were bought by the U.S.

Department of Education which I have since been paying back in good standing. Unbenounced to me, I still had a remaining loan with Nelnet. How did I know this? Well, I didn't.

My Nelnet account was closed because my loans were transferred to the U.S. Department of Education. Every time I would call in to Nelnet, it would state you have no loans with Nelnet, please contact the U.S. Department of Education.

It wasn't until today that I did my credit report and still saw that I'm almost 20 months delinquent on a Nelnet loan. How is this possible? Well the loan transfer was still being processed said the first Nelnet rep I spoke with. I called the U.S.

Department of Education and they had no knowledge of this loan. I called the National Student Loan Database, they said it's processing. So, I decided to call Nelnet once again and low and behold the most intelligent person started the call with "Hi are you calling about your past due bill?" What past due bill, this is the first I even heard of it. Not only that, my loan is still active even after my account being closed.

I went up the chain of command to continually apologetic, but unhelpful people that said "Well this loan couldn't be transferred so it stayed with Nelnet". No communication, account closed, they just let the loan sit there and accrue late fees and destroy my credit. This company's policies are absolutely criminal. They are not in the business of helping anyone.

They are here to *** you. They want you to default, they want to keep you in bad standing. They want to make money and keep you on the line as long as possible. They are nightmare of an organization.

So now I owe $2,000 of late fees on top of my monthly payment.

But, they're sorry so I guess that OK.*** Nelnet, *** their policies, this company is evil.

This review is a subjective opinion of a user.
Report Comment Private message author

Nelnet Student Loan
Review category
Loans and Mortgages
review #779359 by

Author wants to be contacted by the company. Learn more

Had an experience with Nelnet? Submit review ›
Helpful? 1 Yes 1 0 No 0
Had the same issue 0 Yes 0
28 of 141 Nelnet reviews
Comment as anonymous As anonymous or Log in
OR Is it your business? Respond to your
customers as verified company representative.
Apply for a Free Plan

Post a comment to start a discussion.

Great comment! Would you like to convert it into review?

You will be able to edit the text before publishing.